Friday, December 12, 2008

Winter

I love watching the snowflakes dance as they filter their way down to land on the ground. I love to watch the way the wind blows them around in swirls. I love to watch my boys try to catch them on their tongues as they play all bundled up in the yard. I love to fix hot cocoa with marshmallows and whipped cream.
I love to make wreaths for the birds and squirrels to munch on when food is scarce. I love having the shortest day of the year and the longest night.
Winter is a time of rest and rejuvenation. The Earth sleeps and rests getting ready to be reborn in the spring. Next to Autumn, it is my favourite time of year. I love the cold crisp morning...mostly because I love to stay snuggled under my blankets. I love the cleanness of the snow.
Where I am at, I hear grumble during the hot summer months that they can't wait for winter so it will cool off. Then when winter comes, they complain that it is too cold and can't wait for summer. I think that like all seasons, winter should be embraced and savoured.
With the change of time and technology, it is easy to bypass listening to our bodies and the Earth. We stay busy from dawn til the time we go to bed which I am sure for most is not when the sun goes down. So we get tired, our immune system falters and winter becomes flu season. We push ourselves when we should be resting, we try to eat the same all year round, we do not let our bodies rest and rejuvenate as we should. I keep thinking it would be great if we could hibernate.

Tomorrow it is supposed to be a nice 51+ degrees. Sunday it is supposed to drop to 18 degrees and snow. I will be curled up on the couch with a good book for most of the day. I picked up Kay Hooper's Blood Sins at the library yesterday. That and the FBI Handbook of Crime Scene Forensics it should be some happy reading.

No comments: