Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Me and my music

Right now I am listening to B'z. Its a usual thing. They are a Japanese group, AWESOME. I know most wont get the lyrics (that's what google is for...), but they do sound great. The tempo, the sound of his voice, the guitar. They are the first Asian group to get a spot on Hollywood Rock Walk. Tak Matsumoto, B'z guitarist, is a signature artist for Gibson and has several limited editions made in his honour.
Anyway...
Music is healing or can be. For me it is a way to drown out emotions. Not mine...others. Well, it also helps so that my emotions don't overwhelm others also at times. So I am seldom without music if I know I am going into a crowded place. I'm usually the only one who is wearing headphones in a bar or nightclub. Go figure. The only time I go somewhere without my tunes is if I know I am with someone safe. Someone who can act as a buffer so I am not overwhelmed at times. Or if I am in a place where my music is totally not appropriate.

I went to my mother's memorial and there were so many people. Music totally not appropriate. One of my friends doesn't quite understand what its like for me. But she was my buffer that day. Try as I did, it was overwhelming and while I was trying to keep a straight face and not cry, not let the emotions overwhelm me, she took the run off. I think she was fine for about the first 5 minutes or so.

My music ranges from really soft stuff to Classical to Pop to JPop, Grunge to heavy metal type stuff. I think it depends on the situation I am in that chooses the type of music that helps me.

No comments: