Monday, December 8, 2008

Homeschooling

I've been teaching my children at home since they were born. I know many think that you start homeschooling when they come of school age, but I think that I am the one who taught them to walk, vocabulary, etc. They were taught at home to do those things, I just took it to the next level when they became school age. My oldest was already reading when he started "kindergarten".
So its been 19 years since I started on this journey. I have done a public school homeschool program, a charter, literature based, unit based, eclectic and finally unschooling. Not radical unschooling mind you, that may be the next step but we aren't there yet.
Our days usually consist of the boys reading and being read to, helping around the house and exploring. Running around outside and figuring things out.
My littlest one loves taking things apart that has screws. Most of my cabinets now have screws missing on the handles. There are toys that have been taken apart. Anything with screws is not safe.
My 11 year old is an entreprenuer. He goes around the neighbourhood looking for anyone to pay him to rake their lawns. He's been doing pretty good. Now its shoveling walks, but the snow hasn't stayed around long enough for him to get out there.
My oldest is of course out looking for a job. He does spend quite a bit of time still writing. His first passion. He also reads a lot. He still plans on moving in a couple of months.

I get asked, "How do you know your child is going to learn anything if you don't make them learn?"
How does anyone learn anything? It isn't by force. When an adult sees a need to learn something, they go and learn it. Children are the same way. It also helps if there is a desire and an inquisitive mind. How do you foster an inquisitive mind? By allowing your child to explore and do things in a safe enviroment. If they want to take a screwdriver and unscrew the cabinets, let them. (Just make sure you gather up all the screws or you will end up with handles that fall off...)
If they want to bring bugs into the house to look at on the kitchen table, so be it. (Just make sure you gather up the bugs before they scurry across the floor to parts unknown.)
How will they learn to read???
For us it was just a matter of being read to so much that they decided that they wanted to try on their own. My oldest was reading at 3. The older was reading and giving public readings at the age of 8. My youngest is still working on it. I've never thought they wouldn't learn and it was never a matter of when. I always thought that they would learn when they were ready, in the meantime, I would just read to them and enjoy that time.
Math proficiency?
Cooking with your child is an excellent way to teach them math as well as cooking skills. Then when they get older you just build on it. My oldest wanted to take Trig and Calculus when he was 16. Not because I made him, he thought it was something that he should know out in the "real world" when he got older.

I am not saying that all children will flourish under this style. Some do well with structure, but is it their choice and learning style or is it the parents? It can be child led if it is the child wanting to do the work.

1 comment:

Martha said...

Awesome thought on the subject of teaching...we are homeschooling, too.