Friday, November 21, 2008

The Little Things

I love that song These Are a Few of My Favourite Things.

For those that don't know it, here are the lyrics:

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things
Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favorite things
Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things
When the dog bitesWhen the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad


I think about the little things that I enjoy. The things that give me pleasure. My younest bringing me a grasshopper that he found in the backyard. The laughter it brings forth from his lips because it tickled him. Watching the pride in my 11 year olds face as he figures out how to do something. Listening to my oldest as he tells me about something funny he read or watched.
Watching the sun come up and feeling its warmth. Watching the dogs play in the backyard. Finding a good book I can really enjoy. Music that moves me.
Being with a good friend who's company I really enjoy and cherish. Especially going to lunch and enjoying a really wonderful chicken milanese flatbread pizza. YUM!!

I think about all the little things I will miss about my mom. Calling her up and asking her how to say something in Japanese. Going out to dinner. Watching her play at the park with my boys. Her little mannerisms, her hospitality.
I think of all the future things we will both miss out on. Her seeing Dusty graduate from high school. Cody getting married. Rhett growing up.
I will miss out on having a mom to turn to.

No comments: