Friday, May 28, 2010

A thanks to an inconsiderate pet owner and a goodbye to a dear friend.

I'd like to thank the inconsiderate pet owner who almost two year ago abandoned their beautiful cat.

One summer night while I was sitting in my living room I noticed a long haired Siamese sitting on our window sill. When I went out to see it, it jumped off and ran away.
Two evenings later, Dusty was riding his bike around the neighbourhood and Rhett and I were playing outside. Dusty comes riding up with the same cat following him. Kitty was very friendly and came rubbing up against us. She was thin and filthy. We took her in and gave her a bath thinking we'd find out who owned her. No one claimed to have "lost" her over the next few days so we named her Tao and she became a part of our family.
She was a total character. She didn't want us to sleep and meowed incessantly. She demanded that her food bowl be filled even if there was food already in there. She didn't like to be left alone and would bug you till you pet her. She slept in the most peculiar places, usually somewhere in our way like kitchen chairs, on the couch or on top of my wool. She was a good mouser and gave us the "entertainment" of watching her catch mice that happened to wander into the house. She was patient, loving and had this wise look in her face.

I'd like to thank you inconsiderate pet owner for if you had been responsible you would have taken her to the humane society or the pound and we wouldn't have had the wonderful opportunity to spend the past two years with this beautiful cat. She took her last breath in my arms last night.

And thank you Tao Kitty for choosing us as your family that one summer's eve. Thank you for the patience you showed Rhett when he pestered you to no end and you never bit or scratched. I am sorry that I didn't realize something was wrong three days ago when you came to me while the kids and I were playing and you just stared at me. I should have. You will be missed lovely Tao.

No comments: