Thursday, September 5, 2013

Still Teaching From Home...

So its been over 23 years since I started this venture.  I do say I started teaching from birth since we as parents do this.  Most parents will read to infants, sing to them, play with them, introduce them to an array of stimulants. Then we move on to teaching them how to formulate sounds, words, and sentences.  We teach them colours, shapes, animals, etc.  So why do we turn over their lessons to another human being believing we are not capable of teaching them once they reach the age of 5?  When do we start thinking we are inadequate? Why does the institution we call school make us believe we are such?

I believe in child led learning.  I do believe that children are very good at figuring things out on their own with minimal guidance from adults. They have an insatiable curiosity.  How many "why's" have we answered?

My son Rhett decided he wanted to run a lemonade stand in front of our house.  He made very little money during the summer.  Once school started, his profits jumped.  This was because the school kids would go off campus for lunch  or just to wander around and they would buy from him.  The principal from the school comes over and asks why my son is not in school.  So he explains to the principal that he is homeschooled.  A week later a police officer stops by and asks the same question.  Again Rhett tells him he is homeschooled. My older son Dustin goes out there just in case Rhett needs help. 
So I get a phone call while at work, telling me the police stopped by.  I told him to add to Rhett's "Leomonade for Sale" sign to put:  I am homeschooled and this is my economics class.  Please contribute to my education by buying from me.
I'm hoping it will bring even more business to him. 

I have faith that my children are learning and having fun with it.  I would hate to think that their learning process could be stifled in a more structured setting.  I want them to love learning for the rest of their lives, not because they have to, but because they never lose their insatiable curiosity.

No comments: